"I can do everything through him that gives me strength"- Phillipians 4:13

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Palermo, Italy

I have been in Palermo for about a month now. It has gone by very very fast. I am learning new things every day. I am trying to adjust to the concept of time here. Everything happens at least half an hour later than it’s supposed to.
I’ve learned that when someone says they’ll pick me up at 10, that means I shouldn’t wait outside at 9:45…or it’s going to be a long wait. I’m learning that sayings in English don’t really translate word for word in Italian, apparently they don’t make sense. I’ve learned that this is what’s called Lost in Translation. I’ve learned that 9 pm is not late, it’s dinner time. I’ve learned that there’s no Customer is Always Right policy. I’ve learned that those that have less, give more. I’ve learned that worship is worship, no matter where you are, or what language you speak. I’ve learned there’s no language barrier in front of God. I’ve learned that there’s no better way to start the day than spending some time in quiet alone with Him. I’ve learned that I eat more pasta than even Italians. Finally, I’m learning that I love it here.
There is nothing better than putting yourself in a situation completely different from what you’re used to, to put things in perspective. The first week I was here, I went for a walk. I remembered someone’s house so I decided to go find it. I got lost for a pretty good 3 or 4 hours. Later I found out it’s only a 15 minute walk…now I know. God really blessed me with helping me catch up to Italian very fast as well. I can usually understand everything everyone says. I’m still having a little hard time expressing myself as eloquently as I would like to (like this sentence for example), but I’m sure that will come with time. I’ve actually learned quite a few Sicilian dialect words too. I like to throw them into the conversation when my Italian skills are being put on trial.
I think by now I have met everyone in the church. Everyone is so loving. Every time I see them they tell me to greet my family, they ask me how it’s going, if I need anything. I figured it would stop after the first week but it still hasn’t. I ask them for recipes for new kinds of pasta. Then I try them out…some of the results have been disappointing and I’ve had a couple of meals I’ve had to skip, but mostly I’ve been able to cook a decent meal.
The youth is very cool too. I feel like I’m in the right environment because a lot of them like to be up late at night. And a lot of them like to go out to grab something to eat late at night. There is nothing like a couple of calzones at 2 am. And there’s nothing like company with a couple of calzones at 2 am. They love being around each other, and everything they do is as a group. Someone will throw out an idea for something to do, and somehow everyone finds out about it and shows up. For the past few weeks they’ve come over to the church, where I’m staying, and every Saturday night they come and cook a meal for everyone, and hang out till late of course. This past weekend I got to show them pictures of my friends from home and we spent quite some time talking about things God could do here.
I do not have an internet connection and I lost my digital camera the second week I was here. The internet connection is supposed to be set up soon, but after we made arrangements with the company, we just have to wait for them to show up and do it. My family was really kind to buy me a new camera and I should receive that this next week. I would love to update this as often as possible because there are SO MANY other things I’ve left out. It is most definitely a learning experience for me, and I hope to teach something while I’m here as well. Feel free to email me whenever you can, I would actually like to say it’s encouraged. I look forward to hearing from everyone and this way I can tell you even more stories in detail. Soon enough I’ll be able to put up some more recent and current updates here, as well as pictures. Till then, just email me and make my day!!!